Texas Department of State Health Services DSHS Facebook PageFollow DSHS on TwitterDSHS YouTube Channel
     Home      |      About Us      |      News      |      Resources      |      Find Services

Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners Home Page

The Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners (TSBSWE) regulates the profession of Social Work in Texas. The TSBSWE is a nine-member state licensing board appointed by the Governor. The board is authorized to adopt and enforce rules and is administratively attached to the Texas Department of State Health Services. This web site contains information about Licensed Social Workers including a roster of currently licensed Social Workers, scope of practice, licensing requirements, how to file a complaint against a Social Worker, and where to find more information.

*Notice from the Sunset Commission*

The Sunset Commission has begun the process of reviewing this Board to determine if there is a continuing need for the services it provides. Please click the link below for important information on this process.

The Sunset Review of the Texas State Boards of Examiners of Marriage and Family Therapists, Examiners of Professional Counselors, and Social Worker Examiners

Apply for a New License

Renew Your License

Find a Licensee

Jurisprudence Exam


Applications and Forms

  • Application Checklists
  • Application for Licensure/Upgrade/Specialty Recognition form (Form A)
  • Application for Renewal of License/Recognitions (Form B)
  • Application for Temporary License (LBSW or LMSW) (Form C)
  • Application for Continuing Education Provider Approved Status (Form D)
  • Application for Supervisor Training Provider Approved Status (Form E)
  • Application to be a supervisor (Form F)
  • Social Work Employment History (form I)
  • Verification of Licensure in Other Jurisdiction (Form II)
  • Clinical Supervision Plan (Form III)
  • Non Clinical Supervision Verification (Form VI)
  • Clinical Supervision Verification for LCSW (Form V)
  • Examination Security Information Acknowledgement form (Form VII)
  • Non-clinical Supervision Plan (IV)
  • AMEC Application
  • #F77-13402 Board-Ordered Supervision Plan (Form IX)
  • LCSW/LMSW-AP Independent Practice Recognition Applications Packet
  • Military Service Member, Veteran, or Military Spouse Supplemental Form
  • Social Worker Code of Conduct - in Spanish and English
  • Continuing Education - General Information

    How much continuing education must I earn during the 24 months before my renewal?
    A total of 30 hours of continuing education must be earned during the 24 months before renewal. Your continuing education must include a minimum of 6 clock-hours of continuing education in professional ethics and social work values for a two-year renewal period.
    [§781.508(a) and (b)]

    If my initial license period is less than two years, must I earn the full 30 hours of continuing education?
    Yes. Initial licenses are issued for 13 - 24 months depending on the licensee's birth month. A total of 30 hours of continuing education must be earned during the licensure period.
    [§781.502 and §781.508(a)]

    Why is continuing education required for renewal?

    Initial licensing attests to competency. Quality social work service requires a high level of knowledge and skills. After licensing, social workers must work toward keeping their knowledge and skills up-to-date in order to serve their clients. The social work board believes that requiring continuing education is one way to encourage this pursuit. [§781.201(a)(4)]

    What type of continuing education will count for renewal?

    Participating in institutes, seminars, workshops, conferences, independent study programs or college academic or continuing education courses that are related to and or enhance the practice of social work and are offered through a Board-approved providers. The program announcement should indicate whether it is approved for social work. [§781.509 and §781.511(a)-(c)]

    What are credit hours (CEU)?
    Credit hours or Continuing Education Units (CEU) are training hours accredited through a college or university or through agencies and organizations authorized to grant credit hours (CEU). The Board does not directly grant credit hours (CEU) for training. Questions about CEU for a particular program should be referred to the sponsor of that program. [§781.509 and §781.511(a)-(c)]

    How do I document continuing education?
    You are responsible for maintaining documentation of your continuing education. A random sample of renewal forms are selected and marked for CE audit, and those persons are required to submit acceptable documentation of the continuing education he or she has completed during the renewal period.  Acceptable documentation includes but may not be limited to copies of continuing education certificates. [§781.515]

    Can I receive credit toward continuing education requirements for volunteer work?
    Continuing education credit is not given for volunteer work. However, any social-work-related training required for this work may be considered by the Board. [§781.509, §781.510 and §781.513]

    May I be given additional time to earn my continuing education?
    If you do not complete the required continuing education prior to renewal, your license will not be renewed. You may not use your social work title unless your license is current. Your license will be reinstated if you complete the required continuing education and pay your renewal fee and any penalty fees within one year of your renewal date. [§781.504 and §781.508]

    Special Message for Military Personnel, Spouses, and Veterans

    The State of Texas recognizes the contributions of our active duty military service members, their spouses, and veterans. The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) in collaboration with the Office of the Governor, Texas Workforce Commission, Texas Veterans Commission, and Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, is spreading the word to military personnel, their spouses, and veterans about licenses they may be eligible for and that may assist them in their search for work.

    The Professional Licensing and Certification Unit provides regulatory oversight, including licensing and certification, for the 23 allied health occupations identified on this page. Military personnel or veterans may have met some licensing requirements as a result of their military service or other training , knowledge, and experience. Military spouses of current, active duty military service members may also have met some licensing requirements related to this status. 

    Military personnel , their spouses, and veterans who are interested in one of the PLCU occupations and would like additional information regarding requirements may contact us via the contact information below or by clicking on the desired occupation for program specific contact information and a link to the program rules.

    While a military service member is deployed minimum requirements for license renewal may be modified.

    We extend our heartfelt thanks to military service members, veterans, and their families for their dedicated service to the United States of America and to the State of Texas.

    Contact Us

    Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners 
    Texas Department of State Health Services
    Mail Code 1982
    P.O. Box 149347
    Austin , Texas 78714-9347

    E-mail: lsw@dshs.state.tx.us 
    Telephone: (512) 719-3521 or (800)232-3162
    Fax: (512)834-6677

    Complaint Process

    An individual who wishes to file a complaint against a Licensed Social Worker may write to:

    Complaints Management and Investigative Section 
    P.O. Box 141369 
    Austin, Texas 78714-1369

    or call 1-800-942-5540 to request the appropriate form or obtain more information. This number is for complaints only. Please direct routine calls and correspondence to the phone number and address on the "Contact Us" page.

    To file a complaint, you will need to complete the Complaint and the General Release forms.  Return both forms and any additional supporting documentation to the address shown on the complaint form.

    After the completed complaint packet is returned, you will be notified by letter acknowledging that your complaint has been received.  The complaint will be reviewed to verify that the statement indicates a potential violation of law or rules.  If your complaint indicates a potential violation, you may be contacted for additional information.  Should your complaint not indicate a potential violation of law or rules, we will also notify you.

    A complaint may be filed anonymously by not providing your name and address on the form; however, please be aware that anonymous complaints may be difficult to investigate and many are closed because insufficient information is provided.  When you provide your name and address, our investigative staff will be able to contact you for additional information which may be necessary to resolve your complaint.

    In some instances, a complaint may be investigated informally by staff.  In other cases, investigations are conducted by a Texas Department of State Health Services investigator.  The complaint may be investigated by telephone, mail or personal interviews.   Information and/or documentation will be collected that is relevant to the complaint.  After the investigation is completed, the report of investigation will be forwarded to the program for appropriate action.  You may contact the board or program office at any time regarding the status of your complaint.

Last Updated May 12, 2016

Contact Us | Compact with Texans | File Viewing Information | Homeland Security | Internet Policy | Statewide Search | Texas.gov