September 6, 2011
As wildfires threaten many areas of the state, the Texas Department of State Health Services urges Texans to make sure they have grab-and-go items gathered in case evacuation becomes necessary.
People should bring the essentials, including:
- Food and water
- First aid kit
- Phone chargers
- Hand sanitizer
- Extra clothes, shoes
- Pet supplies
- Prescriptions and backup medications
- Baby items
- Blankets, pillows
People should also gather important documents and other items, including:
- Photo IDs
- Social security cards, birth certificates or proof of citizenship
- Computer files (hard drives, CD, DVD, USB drive, etc.)
- Medical records, X-rays, benefits documents, etc.
- List of medications with dosages, doctors’ phone numbers
- Duplicate prescriptions from doctor
- List of important phone numbers (family, friends, etc.)
- Financial statements, insurance and property documents
- Copies of important keys
For checklists and information about how to build a custom plan, go to www.TexasPrepares.org.
For information on the health effects of wildfire smoke, visit: www.texasprepares.org/English/Information-wildfires.shtml.
(News Media Contact: Carrie Williams, Press Officer, 512-776-7119.)
DSHS Press Office on Twitter