The Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division (MHSA) of the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) supports the Agency-wide mission of improving the health and well-being of Texans through the provision of information and services related to behavioral health.
Who We Are
In September 2004, the Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) consolidated legacy agencies into four departments, one of which is now the Department of State Health Services (DSHS). The Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division of DSHS is comprised of professionals committed to a high level of service for Texans who are in need of mental health and substance abuse prevention and treatment services.
The Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division activities include:
- Effectively administering mental health and substance abuse programs and contracts
- Providing hospital care services through the State Hospital system
- Ensuring administrative policies and practices are consistent with the goals of the Texas Department of State Health Services
Hope, Resilience, and Recovery for Everyone
To improve health and well-being in Texas by providing leadership and services that promote hope, build resilience, and foster recovery.
- Promote resilience-based and culturally competent substance abuse prevention and mental health promotion across the life span
- Implement a statewide behavioral health recovery model
- Maximize service delivery through accountable and sustainable partnerships
- Ensure quality, cost-effective service delivery
- Utilize data to improve service delivery outcomes
- Create and maintain effective internal and external communications
- Implement effective administration strategies to empower staff to achieve the division’s mission
- If you or someone you know is facing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1.
- To find mental health services in your area, please visit our mental health services overview page.
- For substance abuse services in your area, please visit our substance abuse services overview page.
- Our toll-free phone number is 1-866-378-8440.
- Our mailing address is
P.O. Box 149347
Mail Code 2053
Austin, Texas 78714-9347
News and Announcements
To receive an email notification when items of note are posted to the MHSA Announcements web page, please subscribe to our email announcement list. For a complete list of topics to which you can subscribe, please visit our MHSA Email Update page.